Friday, February 18, 2011

Drinking and Driving is Illegal in Montana?


A Montana Department of Transportation public safety video that features a horse picking up a rider at a bar is intended as a metaphor to encourage drinkers to get a ride home.
But it is being taken literally by some in a state well known for its horse culture.
Helena Police Chief Troy McGee says he's received many calls from residents wanting to know if riding a horse while under the influence is legal. McGee tells the Independent Record newspaper that it is.
Montana law carefully defines a vehicle, and excludes those running under animal power.
The popular 30-second video titled "Sober Friend" shows a savvy horse carefully obeying traffic laws on a nighttime journey through town before stopping in front of a bar to pick up a rider.
Much of the talk is not about if the "Sober Friend" ad is realistic, but rather if it is legal to ride home drunk on a horse.

I will be the first to admit I have no clue where Montana is on the map. No clue. Give me a dart, I will aim for the middle and thats my guess. I also assumed drinking and driving was legal in Montana. I mean what else is there to do and what could you possible hit with your car? There is nothing for miles.

With my ignorance being layed out on the table I came across this article. Montana probably just spent its entire states budget to make a commerical against drinking and driving. Well judging by the article it seems it has completely backfired because all people want to know is if its legal to drink and drive on a horse. None of these people have any intention of not getting shitfaced, they just want to know whats the legal way to get to the saloon and back.

To me this is going to create a lot more chaos then if they just let people drink and drive. Imagine the thousands of people in Boston riding to Faneuil Hall on horses. Then at 2am its like a scene out of a western movie, just a bunch of drunk meatheads flying through the streets on horses. Your telling me thats better then a few DUIs here and there?

Personally I don't even want to imagine the places I would wake up if I threw my blackedout ass on a horse and rode off into the night.